The Proverbs Project
The Pursuit of Wisdom and Understanding Brings Security
Having a rough day? Place your hand over your heart. Feel That? That’s called purpose. So, don’t give up. You’re alive for a reason. You have a mission, a destiny in life.
Proverbs 2 (1-5) The Gift Of Wisdom
My son, if you receive my words and treasure up my commandments with you, making your ear attentive to wisdom and inclining your heart to understanding; yes, if you call out for insight and raise your voice for understanding, if you seek it like silver and search for it as for hidden treasures, then you will understand the fear of the LORD and find the knowledge of God.
If we want wisdom and understanding which produces the abundant life promised by Jesus, there are certain guidelines to adhere to and things we must do.
- receive my words and treasure up my commandments: God makes a serious request that we accept His teaching and think on them daily.
- your ear attentive to wisdom, inclining your heart to understanding: Have an open ear and listen intently for instruction. Keep an open mind that maybe contrary to what the world has taught you. Satan rules the world until Jesus returns.
- If you call out, raise your voice, seek and search: If we really mean business and we want God’s wisdom and help we’ll cry out for discernment and send out an appeal for God’s help.
- Silver and hidden treasures: What we need is the same kind of drive that men and women have in mining for silver or in searching for hidden treasures. The thought of discovery overwhelms their thinking process. The tragedy is that too often men show more zeal and determination in acquiring material wealth than spiritual riches.
- Then you will understand the fear of the Lord: Those who seek find. Those who are concerned about coming into a right relationship with the Lord and to really know God are never disappointed. The person who seeks God has already found Him. Christ reveals the Father to all who believe on Him. To know Christ is to know God and the Holy Spirit. Without the effort to seek out wisdom, we will lack in our fear of the LORD and knowledge of God.
- The knowledge of God: Refers to personal intimacy with Him through obedience to His word which the Holy Spirit will help you with understanding.
Proverbs 2:6-9 Benefits of Wisdom
For the LORD gives wisdom; from his mouth come knowledge and understanding; he stores up sound wisdom for the upright; he is a shield to those who walk in integrity, guarding the paths of justice and watching over the way of his saints. Then you will understand righteousness and justice and equity, every good path.
- For the LORD gives wisdom: This explains why the fear of the LORD is the foundation of wisdom, and an essential aspect of the pursuit of wisdom. True wisdom is found in Him, and He gives it.
- From His mouth come knowledge and understanding: The most significant way God gives wisdom is from the words of His mouth. His word reveals knowledge and understanding. In His word He stores up sound wisdom for the upright.
- He is a shield to those who walk uprightly: God not only gives wisdom in His word; He actively works to defend, guard and preserve those who walk in His ways.
- Then you will understand righteousness and justice: The sense is that we need this defense from God to gain this proper understanding. There are so many wrong ideas in the world today that we will never hold on to what is wise and true without being defended against the false, foolish, and the spiritual enemy.
- Then you will understand righteousness and justice: “He who is taught of God understands the whole law of justice, mercy, righteousness, and truth; God has written this on his heart. He who understands these things by books only is never likely to practice or profit by them.”
- Every good path: refers to cart tracks, wagon ruts. While the earth is soft, wagon wheels press the trails that others can follow after it dries and hardens. We will make tracks, ruts, paths for our life – wisdom helps us to make good and useful “ruts” or habits. Habits create beliefs and beliefs create who we are.
Proverbs 2:10-11 The protective power of wisdom.
For wisdom will come into your heart, and knowledge will be pleasant to your soul, discretion will watch over you, understanding will guard you.
- Wisdom comes into your heart: wisdom takes control of your heart and mind and it gives both pleasure and the ability to negotiate difficult or rough terrain safely in life. The more wisdom one learns, the more one desires and enjoys it. The protection wisdom gives is that it keeps its follower from making decisions that will later bring only regret.
- Knowledge is pleasant to your soul: the knowledge of what is right becomes pleasant rather than distasteful. To the true believer, God's commands are not irritating or annoying. Christ's yoke is easy, and His burden is light.
- Discretion will watch over you: the ability to make wise decisions, saves a person from many a "bad trip." Sound judgment delivers us from involvement with wicked men. None of us realizes the extent to which we are daily preserved from spiritual, moral, and physical perils. The Christian enjoys a well-guarded life, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust and deceit.
Proverbs 2:12-15 Wisdom rescues us from the wicked.
Delivering you from the way of evil, from men of perverted speech, who forsake the paths of uprightness to walk in the ways of darkness, who rejoice in doing evil and delight in the perverseness of evil, men whose paths are crooked, and who are devious in their ways.
- Delivering you from the way of evil: Wisdom will keep us from going down the wrong path and stumbling into the presence of evil. It helps us decern the unrighteous and from associating with those who speaks perverse things.
- Our sinful nature may be attracted to these perverse Un-Godly things, but the power of wisdom is far greater than that nature of sin within us guarding and shielding us from that path.
- Protecting us from those who choose to leave the path of righteousness.
Proverbs 2: 16-22 Wisdom rescues us from the immoral woman.
So, you will be delivered from the forbidden woman, from the adulteress with her smooth words, who forsakes the companion of her youth and forgets the covenant of her God. For her house sinks down to death, and her paths to the departed none who go to her come back. Nor do they regain the paths of life. So, you will walk in the way of the good and keep to the paths of the righteous. For the upright will inhabit the land, and those with integrity will remain in it, but the wicked will be cut off from the land, and the treacherous will be rooted out of it.
- Delivered from the forbidden woman: Wisdom saves us not only from the clutches of deceitful men like these but also from the beauty of the immoral woman. We may understand this woman as a literal prostitute, or we may see her as a figure of false religion of this ungodly world. Or a big bank account (money) or a fancy title (career) Or anything else that takes our eyes from helping other and loving God.
- Her smooth words: flattery is her most effective method of luring us into her web of false beliefs. "You aren't appreciated at home as you should be. You are so handsome, so talented. You have so much to offer. You need love and sympathetic understanding. You’re not enough and I'm the one who can save you and give you all that you desire."
- Forsakes the companion of her youth and forgets the covenant of her God: She is unfaithful to her husband but also and more important has been unfaithful to the covenant between her and God. We are so caught up in our own lives and the pursuit of our goals and worldly desires we neglect helping others in the world around us. We are NOT loving our neighbors as ourselves.
- None who go to her come back: Once she has us in her clutches, it is almost impossible to escape her paralyzing grip. The verse seems to rule out any hope of any kind of a comeback. But many statements in the Bible must be understood as general rules, to which there may be a few exceptions. That is the point here. Once we are caught up in the whirlwind of her deceitful practices. It is next to impossible to get back on the right track. Only through God can our path be corrected.
- Walk in the way of the good and keep to the paths of the righteous: Wisdom not only shields us from the worldly evil but, on the positive side, it encourages companionship with those who are worthwhile and upright.
- Wicked will be cut off from the land, a nd the treacherous will be rooted out: The fact is righteousness and decency are rewarded in this life as well as in the life to come. It is also true that the wicked will be cut off from the land of blessing. There is no rewarding inheritance for treacherous individuals only misery and damnation.
Most people today want wisdom, knowledge, and understanding so they can make their bank accounts bigger or to get that fancy title in their career that shows how important or powerful they are. But God has a different reason for giving his wisdom freely to each of us.
He wants us to have wisdom, understanding, knowledge, and Power but not so we can show off to the world but so we can use these gifts to help one another in times of despair and anxiety. To use them in helping ourselves and others to live the abundant life that Jesus Christ said we could live.
We are not only to open our ears to what we read but open our mind as well to take in what is being said. Then list for that soft inner voice from the Holy Spirit that will explain and coach us. We don’t need to talk out our problems to others, the world only understands worldly things and gives worldly advice. Bring your issues before the Wisdom of God.
If you really feel disappointed in life, it’s probably because you’re trying to live life through your own wisdom which probably hasn’t worked so far. Seek God’s wisdom and ask the Holy Spirit for guidance and things will begin to change.
Seek and you will find but seek God as you would the material things of the world that you now seek. There are things that you have desired that you spend numerous hours of your life thinking about, praying for, hoping, and wishing for like money, relationship, good health, a career with purpose. Now seek God’s wisdom the same way and you will begin to find it.
God is waiting for you to ask and to see if you mean business.
There are so many benefit God wants to spill over your life because He loves you but you first have to ask Jesus into your life to become your Lord and Savior then the Holy Spirit will comfort you and keep you on the right path. He protects and shield you from harm as you take the journey to fulfill your destiny in this life.
When you give the Holy Spirit control in your life there will be nothing this world can do but sit back in discuss as you show the power of God rules your life in every way. You will make wise decisions, sound judgement, and overcome all obstacles being thrown in your direction.
Wisdom will give you the discerning power to know truth from lies and it will protect you from evil and the prince of this world, Satan. Then you will begin to live life more abundantly.
Scripture has been taken from ESV (English Standard Version) translation from the Hebrew to English in the Bible then you have been give my take on it and the explanation of others so you can get a better grip on what it means to you in this chaotic world we now live in.