The Proverbs Project
Using Wisdom To Find The Abundant Life Promised You
God’s Got This Session #3
Mom use to always tell me, “be smart today son, do the right things, remember you pay the consequences of your actions. No one else will take responsible for what you do or say. It’s all on you.”
You know, she was right to a certain point, but whoever listens to their mom? When you’re young and adventuresome you want to do your own thing. Live life and explore all that it has to offer, right!
So, that’s what I did, started living and loving all that life had to offer but my plans weren’t turning out the way I had envisioned them. There was always something, an obstacle, a roadblock, an issue that would stop me dead in my tracks keeping me from achieving my goals of being wealthy and successful.
Hey, I want to ask you something here…
…Have your ever felt that way, that your life didn’t turned out the way you thought it would?
Mom bless her heart, she knew but fail to tell me each day that to help me in my journey in life I had a friend that would help me make all the right decisions and all I had to do was ask them for the help.
Not to downplay my Mom but what she failed to tell me each day was that wisdom, God’s Wisdom, was at my disposal every day and I had the choice to use it or not.
Yea, you know exactly what I’m talking about. When you start to do or say something that gut feeling comes around and says you shouldn’t do that or your intuition’s quite voice says that’s a good idea go for it.
Gut feeling, intuition, sixth sense if you haven’t figured it out yet I want to introduce you to wisdom, God’s Wisdom, and all you have to do to get more of it is ASK.
Then after you learn how to use the Wisdom of God your entire life will begin to take on a whole new meaning and direction.
God’s Got This: wisdom from trusting God
Walk rightly with God by benefiting from His word.
VS 1-4: My son, do not forget my teaching, but let your heart keep my commandments, for length of days and years of life and peace they will add to you. Let not steadfast love and faithfulness forsake you; bind them around your neck; write them on the tablet of your heart. So, you will find favor and good success in the sight of God and man.
- do not forget my teaching, but let your heart keep my commandments: You know Wisdom is just like my Mom or any other good parent she wants the best for her children. She also knows that the only way for them to truly succeed in life is to have her commands (teaching) stored in their mind. It’s a lot more than just having them stored up in their thoughts and mind but they (you and me) must be willing to comply (take action) on what we are being taught.
- length of days and years of life and peace they will be add to you: If we are good children and act upon what we are being taught, we are promised that we will live a long and productive life. Wisdom will literally add days and years to our life here on mother earth.
- But on the flip side, if you decided to go it on your own and kick up your heels against parental discipline and wisdom, you’re inviting illness, accidents, tragedies, and premature death but that can be changed, it’s your choice.
- This isn’t only Biblical teaching, but Science has now proven the way we live and the thoughts we have can lengthen or shorten our lives. Here’s just a couple of things that have been published concerning the results of how we live.
“The Institute of HeartMath explains stress and anxiety have been recognized as the number one proxy killer disease today.”
“The American Medical Association has noted that stress is the basic cause for more than 60% of all human illnesses and diseases.”
- Let not steadfast love (mercy) and faithfulness (truth) forsake you: Your loving kindness and your commitment to God, yourself, and others should never be bottled up inside.
- bind them around your neck: people should see love and sincerity in your life as if you had a gold necklace studded with diamonds hung around your neck. It should be that obvious to others.
- write them on the tablet of your heart: meditate on them think about them until they become a habit of thought. Habits become beliefs and beliefs are the values you live by.
- you will find favor and good success in the sight of God and man: your beliefs are your core values and these values make up your character (mental and moral qualities) which draws others within your space. God is glorified by this and man can see and feel God’s Spirit within you. God’s Law of Attraction to Success you could say.
Walk rightly with God by truly trusting Him.
VS 5-6 Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths.
- Trust in the LORD with all your heart: we meet people all the time then we meet those that we end up trusting. God wants us to trust him because He’s the only one who won’t let us down.
- Trust is confidence in the honesty, integrity, and reliability of a person, an example of trust is the belief that someone is being truthful.
- Lean not on your own understanding: this is pretty simple, we’re responsible and in control of our lives or that’s what the world tells us and that’s what we think. Ok, with that being said, ask yourself, how has life turned out so far with you in control?
- acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths: God has a plan, a purpose, and destiny for every one of us. So, don’t you think it would be best to trust the Creator for our guidance rather than ourselves? Novelist and writer Ernest Hemingway says: "The best way to find out if you can trust somebody is to trust them."
Walk rightly with God by a humble, reverent life
VS 7-8 Be not wise in your own eyes; fear the LORD (show respect) and turn away from evil. It will be healing to your flesh and refreshment to your bones.
- Don’t be a conceited person (excessively proud of oneself) and believe your wisdom is better and greater than God’s. This is the wrong way to be thinking. Show God the natural reverence and awe deserved of Almighty God the Creator and stop your obsessive pursuit of worldly things.
- When you do this it means "all systems go." It gives health to the body and strength (refreshment) to the bones. Here again we are reminded about the close connection between man's moral and spiritual condition and his physical health. It has been estimated that fear, sorrow, envy, resentment, hatred, guilt, and other emotional stresses account for over 60% of our illness in the world today.
Walk rightly with God in regard to your possessions.
VS 9-10 Honor the LORD with your wealth and with the first fruits of all your produce; then your barns will be filled with plenty, and your vats will be bursting with wine.
- All we have belongs to Him in the first place, we are just stewards, responsible for its management. We are to be thankful for all that we’ve been given and should use the excess of our needs to help others and to spread God’s Word to the masses It is our privilege to do this.
- So, put everything above our needs to work for God, and trust God for the future. We should look upon anything we possess except in relation to the Kingdom of God. The truth is we cannot out give the Lord.
Receiving correction from God with the right heart.
VS 11-12 My son do not despise the LORD's discipline or be weary of his reproof, for the LORD reproves him whom he loves, as a father the son in whom he delights.
- do not despise the LORD's discipline or be weary of his reproof: At a young age Mom use to set me down when I’d do something wrong. She’d try talking to me about why it was wrong and if that didn’t work and I’d do it again the next time she’d wear my butt out with a belt. That got my attention.
- Now God’s not going to pull off His belt and wear your butt out, but you may wish he had instead of having you go through some of the situations just to learn a lesson from Him.
- the LORD reproves him whom he loves, as a father the son in whom he delights: One thing to note God does it out of His Love for you and my Mom did as well. God has a destiny for each one of us and through His love he disciplines us sometime because we’re so hardheaded and stubborn. Oh yea, and to get our attention.
The wonderful benefits of God’s correction.
VS 13-18 Blessed is the one who finds wisdom, and the one who gets understanding, for the gain from her is better than gain from silver and her profit better than gold. She is more precious than jewels, and nothing you desire can compare with her. Long life is in her right hand; in her left hand are riches and honor. Her ways are ways of pleasantness, and all her paths are peace. She is a tree of life to those who lay hold of her; those who hold her fast are called blessed.
- Blessed is the one who finds wisdom, and the one who gets understanding: In the beginning we were born fundamentally perfect. In alignment with God and the universe living by the law of natural human growth and progress that God had designed for us.
- As children nothing was impossible. We could do and be whatever we desired in the innocent of all the chaos around us living in the realm of the Wisdom of God.
- This is the mind of a child, no stress, no worry, no anxiety, nor fear just living and loving life to the fullest in the loving arms of God. This is Wisdom
- for the gain from her is better than gain from silver and her profit better than gold. She is more precious than jewels, and nothing you desire can compare with her: To have the wisdom that comes from God’s loving correction is to have something better than any material wealth you could ever image or think of.
- What is wealth to you? Every one’s definition of wealth is different. Yours maybe just to live a comfortable life with no stress. God’s definition is living that comfortable life and using any excess to help others meet their needs and for spreading His Word in this chaotic world we live in.
- Long life is in her right hand; in her left hand are riches and honor: Wisdom brings many benefits. Wise people live longer, enjoy great prosperity (riches) and esteem (honor). They live lives marked by pleasantness, by peace, and by happiness.
- She is a tree of life to those who lay hold of her; those who hold her fast are called blessed: A healthy vibrant tree has deep roots to collect all the nourishment Mother Earth has to offer just as a wise individual’s roots are deeply imbedded in the Word of God (The Bible) for nourishment. When we keep these Words and teachings in our heart, we find happiness beyond comprehension without stress, anxiety, and fear of the world around us.
The wise Creator.
VS 19-22 The LORD by wisdom founded the earth; by understanding he established the heavens; by his knowledge the deeps broke open, and the clouds drop down the dew. My son do not lose sight of these— keep sound wisdom and discretion, and they will be life for your soul and adornment for your neck.
- The LORD by wisdom founded the earth; by understanding he established the heavens: Here we are given the example of how ingenious God’s Wisdom is by looking at the creation of the earth and heavens from the minute details of the smallest cell to the timing of the larges planets in the in the heavens. All is perfectly in order with each other. With this displayed before our eyes how can we not seek His Wisdom.
- by his knowledge the deeps broke open, and the clouds drop down the dew: He also displays how everything is in order to help everything else by taking the water from the depths of the oceans into the clouds to distribute dew across the lands to nourish them. This is God’s wisdom on display.
- Remember this same wisdom that created the universe and keeps it in order is the same wisdom that God freely gives us to navigate our life here on earth. Powerful, dependable, and comforting wisdom.
- do not lose sight of these - keep sound wisdom and discretion, and they will be life for your soul and adornment for your neck:
- It provides us with inward vitality (life to our soul) and outward beauty around us.
The safety of walking in God’s wisdom.
VS 23-26 Then you will walk on your way securely, and your foot will not stumble. If you lie down, you will not be afraid; when you lie down, your sleep will be sweet. Do not be afraid of sudden terror or of the ruin of the wicked when it comes, for the LORD will be your confidence and will keep your foot from being caught.
- Then you will walk on your way securely, and your foot will not stumble. If you lie down, you will not be afraid; when you lie down, your sleep will be sweet: It enables us to walk safely in our way, free from danger of tripping or slipping into chaos. It guarantees us a good night's sleep, with no guilt on our conscience and no fearful thoughts running rampant on our mind.
- Do not be afraid of sudden terror or of the ruin of the wicked when it comes: it will keep you safe from sudden fears like the CoVid-19 has created throughout our world today and the sudden terror that overtakes the wicked. Those who envy the apparent prosperity of the ungodly fail to realize the hazards of that kind of life—such as extortion, theft, revenge, human trafficking, blackmail, kidnapping, and murder.
- the LORD will be your confidence and will keep your foot from being caught: God guards those who walk in His ways. He won't let our foot get caught in some kind of worldly trap. We are often conscious of God's interventions and rescues at different times in our lives. But these rescues were only the tip of the iceberg. Some day we will realize completely all we have been saved from as well as saved to.
Some lessons from God’s wisdom.
VS 27-30 Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, when it is in your power to do it. Do not say to your neighbor, “Go, and come again, tomorrow I will give it”—when you have it with you. Do not plan evil against your neighbor, who dwells trustingly beside you. Do not contend with a man for no reason, when he has done you no harm.
- Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, when it is in your power to do it: We are not ever to refuse doing a kind act for someone in need when it is in our power to perform it at the time. If we have the means or the ability to help and our neighbor’s necessities are pressing causing stress, heartache, and discomfort, don’t put them off until tomorrow. We have no guarantee death may take either one of us before that the tomorrow comes.
- This is not only speaking of basic needs as food, water, shelter but needs to deal with injustices like racism, rape, theft, the list goes on. If we can help in any of these kinds of situations it’s our responsibility to help the victim any way we can, by support, counseling, or just listening with an open heart.
- Do not plan evil against your neighbor, who dwells trustingly beside you: God’s wisdom teaches us to treat others well. Seeing that our own security and safety is connected directly to the good and well being of our neighbor next door or down the street, then for our own safety’s sake we should not be quarrelsome and agitating with our neighbor when there is no real cause. “Mark 12:31 The second is this: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no other commandment greater than these.” I believe that’s enough said there. Pretty plain and simple wouldn’t you say?
- Do not contend with a man for no reason, when he has done you no harm: Here we are told and warned against picking a fight with someone when they have done nothing to provoke it. When we do something like this, we need to stop, step back and reevaluate our relationship with Jesus Christ. Something has gone wrong in our life. There’s already enough strife and drama in the world without needlessly going around to stir up more!
The benefit of a life that loves God’s wisdom.
VS 31-35 Do not envy a man of violence and do not choose any of his ways, for the devious person is an abomination to the LORD, but the upright are in his confidence. The LORD's curse is on the house of the wicked, but he blesses the dwelling of the righteous. Toward the scorners he is scornful, but to the humble he gives favor. The wise will inherit honor, but fools get disgrace.
These last 5 verses are PRICELESS especially verse 35:
Why? Because it sums it all up in a nutshell if you would. What I mean by that is this.
The greatest CON has been and still is being played on the entire world today! Con to persuade (someone) to do or believe something, typically by use of a deception.
We have been “CONNED” into believing that SUCCESS and living a good life depends on how much money is in our bank account and how fancy or powerful the title is in our career. We chase the possession of more money, fancier cars and homes like they were the only meaningful things in life.
We think we don’t have enough time so we eat fast food, live fast lives, and think that they will make life better. When in reality the food and the stress, anxiety, and fear from the fast pace is killing us slowly but surely.
The media programs our thoughts telling us we’re not good enough, so we need whatever they’re selling.
Here’s the real problem: we are listening to a bunch of programed propaganda that tells us every minute of the day that we’re not good enough and to be successful we have to knock others out of the way or pull them off the ladder they’re climbing for their success.
Truth is we don’t have a clue to what success is and in most cases its just a mirage we’re chasing, it’s not even real that was created by the greatest con-artist in history from the very beginning, Satan.
- Well, I have just one thing to say about it all. GOD’S GOT THIS and if we want a real life where we are Good Enough. VS 35 “Where you will receive wisdom and will inherit honor, but fools will get what they deserve, disgrace.” Then we need to open our eyes and ears to what’s going on in the world around us and turn our eyes on Jesus, plain and simple.
Forgive me here for the ranting but the way the world is now just doesn’t make sense. I told someone today, “Maybe just maybe He (God) closed the buildings to let us know they are NOT the Church "WE ARE" and to bring His people that were scattered back together. John 14:12 “Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever believes in me will also do the works that I do; and greater works than these will he do, because I am going to the Father. The Power of the Church - God's People United. Remember Gods Got This!!!
I will end here with this:
John 14:23 Jesus answered him, “If anyone loves me, he will keep my word, and my Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him.
Last I heard God’s Still In Control….
Scripture has been taken from ESV (English Standard Version) translation from the Hebrew to English in the Bible then you have been give my take on it and the explanation of others so you can get a better grip on what it means to you in this chaotic world we now live in.