How To Find Out Who's Really In Control Of Your Future...
FUTURE: Is one of the scariest word in the English Language. Why, because it's the one thing that keeps most people up at nights worrying and being stressed-out over. No other word can trigger our emotions into shock and chaos as fast as the word future.
When we think of the future, what is it that most of us think about? At the top of the list you'll probably find:
- Finances: or the lack of which include debt - bills, bills, and more bills.
- Careers/Jobs: we are unhappy, discontent, and want better, something with purpose and meaning.
- Relationships: the bad one we're in or the one we don't have and want.
- Health: we're overweight and under exercised but want a beautiful trim physique.
- And of course today the CoVid-19 Virus - But God's Got This
- In Fact God's Got All Mentioned Above If we Let Him!
So, why aren't we just thankful for who we are and what we have? It's that subtle quite voice within our heads (thoughts) and a churning feeling in our gut that tells us we're missing out on something far greater than we could ever imagine. That we're missing a key element in our lives (true wisdom and understanding) that could literally be life-changing but we can't seem to find it.
We looked to our cultures, our societies, and the world around us to find a solution. We've turned to the internet and its widely acclaimed Gurus and paid them for their advice on self-development and self-improvement programs. Which may have helped some but has it silenced that inner voice?
Probably not... That's because we look in all the wrong places.
That reminds me of a movie I once saw where thirty years after war turned the world into a wasteland, a lone man named Eli marches across the ruined landscape, carrying HOPE for humanity's redemption. Only one other man understood the power of what Eli carried, and he was determined to take it for himself. Though Eli preferred peace, he was willing to risk death to protect his precious cargo, for he must fulfill his destiny to help restore mankind.
The precious cargo Eli carried was the Word of God, a Bible, the wisdom within could be life-changing to all who read and kept its words in their heart and mind. Won't tell you the ending but kind of an unexpected twist a good movie all the same. (Book of Eli)
The point here is, that book Eli protected with his life was the Holy Bible and it's still around after 2000 plus years for you and I to read and reap the benefits from its wise teachings.
Just to let you know we are really blessed here in the USA. We can talk, teach, and still read these blessed words from God because we don’t have to worry about repercussions or dying for it.
On the other hand, there are those who are murdered each and every day for taking the courage to spreading the Word of God in the country they live. We as Christians should be praying for the protection of all those around the world who have the courage to spread His Word and do His Will.
My thoughts right now are, would I have the courage and boldness to be saying what I’m saying if it could lead to my death? An eye-opening thought to say the least.
Another eye-opening fact is what Solomon is teaching in Proverbs 4 where he speaks to not only his son but to his children, the youth, and the generations to come. That would include you and me.
God’s Got This; wisdom for generations to come
Wisdom should be held and cherished as a family treasure
VS 1-9: Hear, O sons, a father's instruction, and be attentive, that you may gain insight, for I give you good precepts; do not forsake my teaching. When I was a son with my father, tender, the only one in the sight of my mother, he taught me and said to me, “Let your heart hold fast my words; keep my commandments, and live. Get wisdom; get insight; do not forget, and do not turn away from the words of my mouth. Do not forsake her, and she will keep you; love her, and she will guard you. The beginning of wisdom is this: Get wisdom, and whatever you get, get insight. Prize her highly, and she will exalt you; she will honor you if you embrace her. She will place on your head a graceful garland; she will bestow on you a beautiful crown.”
- for I give you good precepts: Precepts (doctrine) are basically general rules taught to someone on how to live a good healthy life with purpose. Which can be maintained by understanding how we should act and conduct ourselves especially towards others. While our thoughts should always support a healthy constructive process to live a rewarding (abundant) life.
*With that being said here’s the issue I see presenting itself to each of us in this fast-paced chaotic world we live in.
The author has in the first 3 chapters and here said that we should be taught these rules of life in our youth in a family setting influenced by the father’s experience.
There’s the problem, the word family which means parents and children basically living in the same household. In the USA stats show 55% of marriages end in divorce, the family setting God created is being shattered.
And because of this our youth from generation to generation have been denied to the most part the Godly Wisdom being spoken of here. (That may include you.) The fatherly influence God intended has shifted to an external influence which today is mainly made up of greed, self-promotion, and deception created by world-wide media sources. Instead of God’s Wisdom.
To make this crystal-clear Jesus was asked what the greatest commandment was. Jesus answered, “The most important is: “The Lord our God, the Lord is one. And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength. The second is this: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no other commandment greater than these.” Mark 12: 29-31
No others greater than these, heck most people today have no earthly idea who their neighbor is much less love them.
There's an old saying that goes something like this "If you talk the talk - walk the walk", (Your action proves your words) but when someone talks the talk and does not walk the walk it means that they do not act in a way that agrees with the things they say. (hypocritical)
We as Christians consist of at least 6 generations in the US today from 1925 to the present and have Talked the Talk for nearly a hundred years now but have we really Walked the Walk? Do you really LOVE your Neighbor as yourself? That should shed some light on our answer...
I’m not sure where we missed the true message down the line, but God plainly commands us to love Him and to love others as we love ourselves.
It maybe LOVE confuses us to some degree. Our definition of the word today is 1) an intense feeling of deep affection, 2) a great interest and pleasure in something, or 3) feel a deep romantic or sexual attachment to (someone).
When most think of love they only think of its meaning as describe in #3 above. A deep sensational feeling of romantic sexual attachment. But God sees it differently more as #1 and #2.
Where our affection and great interest should move one to read and listen to His words intently acting on them because of our admiration for who He (Creator) is and what He (Jesus) has done for us. As our admiration grows so our desires intensify to follow His (Holy Spirit) guidance.
It's like this, think of someone right now that you like and admire for who they are and how they present themselves to others and the world around them. Your emotions stir within you, right? That's a natural instinct to want to improve ourselves and be accepted more by others.
We all try imitating the actions and characteristics of people we look up to? The point is Love begins with the mental perception we have of ourselves and how we interpret those thoughts. Then we make a decision on how we will respond and act.
If we can't find LOVE for ourselves it's difficult to find it for others.
What is being said in these first 9 verses is that it pays to listen to sound Godly Teachings whether they are from a family member like your father, mother, or a sage (wise or experienced person).
The beginning of wisdom is this: you will need to find something that will motivate you to continue seeking it. The motivation is needed to keep you engaged because our mind does not like unfamiliar things. This is the prime reason habits are hard to break.
Let your heart hold fast my words: When we do something repetitively day in and day out it eventually becomes familiar to our mind thus creating a habit, good or bad. To seek wisdom is an unfamiliar act for us all because of our sinful nature. Therefore, the only way to make it familiar is to daily read God’s Word and think about what we are reading.
she will honor you if you embrace her: if we stay true to daily reading and seeking for understanding before you know it, you will be rewarded with the habit of seeking wisdom. Science has proven that thoughts and repetitive action create habits, that habits create beliefs, and beliefs create who we are internally (our character/core values).
Knowing that you can obtain spiritual guidance and understanding in all your situations and problems by finding wisdom should be a powerful enough motivator to keep you on your path. If it isn't DO IT ANYWAY you'll be glad you did.
Wisdom and the Two Paths
VS 4:10-27 Hear, my son, and accept my words, that the years of your life may be many. I have taught you the way of wisdom; I have led you in the paths of uprightness. When you walk, your step will not be hampered, and if you run, you will not stumble. Keep hold of instruction; do not let go; guard her, for she is your life.
Do not enter the path of the wicked, and do not walk in the way of the evil. Avoid it; do not go on it; turn away from it and pass on. For they cannot sleep unless they have done wrong; they are robbed of sleep unless they have made someone stumble. For they eat the bread of wickedness and drink the wine of violence.
But the path of the righteous is like the light of dawn, which shines brighter and brighter until full day. The way of the wicked is like deep darkness; they do not know over what they stumble.
My son be attentive to my words; incline your ear to my sayings. Let them not escape from your sight; keep them within your heart. For they are life to those who find them, and healing to all their flesh. Keep your heart with all vigilance, for from it flow the springs of life.
Put away from you crooked speech and put devious talk far from you. Let your eyes look directly forward, and your gaze be straight before you. Ponder the path of your feet; then all your ways will be sure. Do not swerve to the right or to the left; turn your foot away from evil.
- accept my words, that the years of your life may be many: again, we find science catching up with the 2000-year teaching of the Bible. Here it has to do with living longer. God’s Wisdom teaches how to live life abundantly without the stress, worry, and fear that presents itself on a daily basis to most people. Why is this significant and of value to us. A life without stress, anxiety, and fear years will be added to it. The knowledge of eating better and exercise alone benefits us tremendously.
- Science is finally catching up > “The Institute of HeartMath explains stress and anxiety have been recognized as the number one proxy killer disease today” and “The American Medical Association has noted that stress is the basic cause for more than 60% of all human illnesses and diseases.”
- your step will not be hampered, and if you run, you will not stumble: The Syriac version reads: "As thou goest step by step, I will open up the way before thee." This teaches two important principles: First, God guides us step by step, rather than revealing the whole plan at once. Second, God guides people when they are moving forward for Him. A ship must be in motion before the captain can steer it. So must a bicycle; you can only guide it when it is moving. The same is true of us; God guides us when we are in motion for Him.
The question here should be: are you seeking God’s will for your life and loving others as yourself or are you chasing your worldly and material desires ?
You can figure that one out real quick 1) just think about the people you associate with or look up to, 2) what thoughts continually run through your mind, 3) what kind of goals are you trying to accomplish. These will give you a quick summary of what your intentions are and where your love resides. *If you're running with the wrong crowd, get out. *If you're thinking the wrong thoughts, stop.
You have the POWER to overcome these evils by asking for help in the name of JESUS. Seek God's Wisdom and He will help you right your ship so you can begin to sail a straight and promising path for the future.
WISDOM’S INSTRUCTION/TEACHINGS ARE LIFE-CHANGING
- do not let go; guard her, for she is your life: hang on as if you were dangling off the side of a 300-foot cliff using all your strength to keep from falling to your death. Protect her just as a bank protects its client’s money by putting it into a steel vault. Put wisdom into the steel vault of your heart and guard it.
- Do not enter the path of the wicked: Many people stress over the thought that they are Not Good Enough for this world. The world is Satan’s playground, and this is the way he deceives people into thinking less of themselves by creating images and words on media outlets and other influencers telling us we are not enough.
- righteous is like the light of dawn, which shines brighter and brighter until full day: your life literally depends on the thoughts you have of yourself. Remember, you were created in God’s Image. You are UNIQUE, one of a kind, created with a purpose, and destiny in this life. Your Fingerprints, DNA, and Brain Wave Patterns prove this. No one else on the planet have what you have. God says You Are Enough! Let your light shine…
- Ponder the path of your feet; then all your ways will be sure: As Steve Jobs Co-Founder of Apple once said, “Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of other's opinions drown out your own inner voice (Holy Spirit). And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly should become. Everything else is secondary.” This is God’s Wisdom from a man.
- Do not swerve to the right or to the left: turn your foot away from evil: wisdom will lead you on the correct path for your life and destiny, Don’t let the way of the world detour you off this path. It is the path to your purpose and destiny. God is your guide so follow His instruction.
Live your life for God is the only life worth living. What this means, among other things, is that we will learn to choose between the evil (worldly) and the good (heavenly), the good and the best, the soulish and the spiritual, the temporal and the eternal.
Proverbs 4 runs right along with 1-2-3 and there is a lot of repetitive words and thoughts in them. To be honest you may say or think the words written in these 4 chapters of Proverbs are just common sense. And that may be true.
But Common Sense Is Not Always Common Practice…
…if Common Sense Is Not Put Into Common Practices It Is Worthless.
Colossians 2:8 Beware lest anyone cheat you through philosophy and empty deceit, according to the tradition of men, according to the basic principles of the world, and not according to Jesus Christ.
Love Your Neighbor,